Alphabet

Monday, March 27, 2006

Ode to a Talking Flute

Here’s this week’s playlist. I absentmindedly keyed the last song in incorrectly. It was the Jeff Lewis Band doing a cover of Schwervon’s “Swamp Thing.” The song before that was Schwervon doing a cover of the Jeff Lewis Band’s “Heavy Heart.” Both appear on the Gas Money Tour EP (2005).

Our Six O’Clock Special was a three-song set from the soundtrack to that classic 1970s drama, Pufnstuf. I used to watch HRPufnstuf on Saturday mornings, along with the Bay City Rollers, who would perform songs and painful seconds of scripted comedic seque to introduce the adventures of Freddie and his talking flute. Ah, memories...Thanks to Perry for that unexpected gift. I presume it was a thank-you for my continuing to let him in every Monday morning. Just think, some day you will have your very own keycard!

When I came in this morning at 5 a.m., I discovered Roshay, WRVU’s PSA and underwriting director, studying in the listening room. Then he had to go because the Vanderbilt police showed up wanting him to move his car.

Perry’s friend Peter visited this morning as well.

I am still pondering my crazy "Belle and Sebastian at the Hollywood Bowl" scheme. It’s really a matter of funding. Right now my strategy is to play the lottery. I hope I win before all the good seats are sold. Alternatively, I could always ask Belle and Sebastian for the money. They seem nice; I bet they’d spot me.

3 Comments:

  • re: your belle and sebastian thing

    i've never been terribly into them, but i have been terribly into other bands

    and for that reason - i say, why not just pack your bags and GO? its not as if you're going to starve if you spend the money. you'll live. and it will be an adventure

    GO!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:14 AM  

  • I like your way of thinking, anonymous motivator...

    By Blogger yelhsacrow, at 8:02 AM  

  • Ashley: Peter Cruttenden, Perry's friend from D.C. Thanks so much for the reference. It was great meeting you and letting me hang out at the station...Enjoyed the show a great deal. I wish D.C. had WFVU or any ANY COLLEGE station that projects out further than the dorm AC current. Peace...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home